Every age has had its own diseases. Until 1600 it was the plague representing the recurring nightmare; in the Eighteenth century the Black Death was replaced by smallpox. In the first half of the Nineteenth century cholera took over, and finally, between the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth century, in popular imagination the most devious and evil illness became the dreaded phtisis, or consumption, that learned persons called tuberculosis. Antibiotics did not exist, and the long struggle against the White Plague could be fought only with long-term care in locations which benefited from a mild climate, coupled with a proper diet to increase resistance in the organism (overeating). Thanks to the mildness of the climate and clean air filtered by the countless pines and fir trees that surround the area, towards the end of the Nineteenth century one of the first Italian sanatoria was built for the care of tuberculosis. It was a pharaonic work at that time. The sanatorium, built on an area of bout 60000 square meters and placed at an altitude of 1240 meters was designed by architects Brioschi and Giachi and was dedicated to King Umberto 1st. Right now, the entire structure lies in a state of neglect.